Tuesday, June 5, 2007

You thought you wanted to know, eh?

So, lessee. It's another jam-packed day of fun our here on Tul Creggen, haus of strange work and stranger slack. We're scurrying to get ready for the Western PA Faerie Fest this weekend, as well as Potomac Celtic Festival. Split stock means we have a lot of work to do. In fact, it means that other things get pushed back until loads of pots are in the kilns, and the only thing we can do is wait.

That being said, waiting is not something we are going today. I finished up making a batch of glaze, and I'm about to go out to the studio to glaze another kiln of pots. I'm thinking of devising a rating system to evaluate the relative difficulty of glazing some kilnloads over others. The rating system will not only help me support my geeky reputation, but will allow me to winge more effectively. See, some kiln loads are a breeze; mostly mugs or bottles, which mostly go smoothly and require very little fiddling. Then there are kilnloads like today's, which big huge bowls and berry bowls and other pots which require extra steps and finesse (which it seems sometimes has gone out to lunch leaving me going, "hey! come back here! i'm gonna mess this up without you! hey!" Anyway, having a short hand for when Va gives me the news might be entertaining.

B: So, what kind of stuff is it today? A, B, or C?
V: I'm afraid it's D today, mon amie.
(Not that Va says "mon amie", but I'm extemporizing here.)
B: A kilnload entirely made up of butter-keeps and teapots? Omigawd. Okay, that's cool, but I'm picking the music. "Temple of the Dog" it is.
V: ohwailywailywaily! Why do you hate me so!?
B: Mwahahahaha...

So while the current bisque kiln cools off enough that I can glaze it later, I'm going to spoil myself by going out to the studio now and making some new glazes to test. I'm working on a rich red, a buttery smooth yellow, and revamping the green. Yay!

-end geek transmission-

1 comment:

Lanea said...

Woot! Make pretty things for me now, k? All your butterbell is rz, or something.