Saturday, June 16, 2007

Okay, if at first you don't succeed...

...be thankful there will soon be another glaze kilnload.

So the last batch of test tiles? Not so much. The red underglaze I was trying to use ends up not really being red as much as...well...rhubarb-coloured. Not really what I had in mind. Ew. So back to square one on that note. And the new green? Ugh. See, the glaze on the Green line of pots has been getting kinda strange since the move, and while it's technically fine, we think there is room for improvement. So we are trying to work out some alternatives, and it's taxing Va's many years of experience as well as my fresh-faced enthusiasm and research-philia.

And we're still trying to pin down the glaze for the new Ceilidh pots. There are a bunch of options, but none yet jump up and down and go, "pick me! pick me!" So that's to be worked out still.

And I'm still working on that buttery yellow, and a rich chocolate brown that doesn't look like a leftover from a batch of 1979 ashtrays. (ugh, again.) So this all means that I've got to make a "metric butt-ton" (technical term) of test glazes before the next kilnload goes in on Tuesday.

Tomorrow morn, I have to fix a decorative sculpted face I made a few days ago; it shrank as it dried, and the supports it was sculpted on didn't, and therefore it cracked. I want it to be ready to go into a bisque kiln whenever there is space; there are two that I've finished, and you never know when one will fit jenga-like into a kiln, so I really want to be ready. They are both planned as big centerpieces of decoration when I plaster and paint the walls in my studio; I am planning to incorporate some Italian carved plaster embellishment on one of the walls, and the faces are a big part of that. And, good lord willin' and the creek don't rise, I will be working on the walls soon. Right now we're still working on the elex and plumbing up in what we're starting to call "The Crow's Nest", and while that's cool and all, since this is me we are talking about it should really come as no surprise that I can't wait to get on to the aesthetics.

No comments: